singapore week 5: more city adventures yay (07/01/2019-07/07/2019)

Wow, we are already on week 5 of my Singapore adventures (and week 5 of my fruitless quarantine summer). This was another week of good food, city explorations, and a very strange award show-like celebration of SMART’s birthday. I’ll save most of the food for a later post, but enjoy some more random pics I guess.

Just a shot of the stage from SMART’s 12th birthday celebration. Held at another fancy Singaporean hotel, the event was a combination of an awards ceremony, a game show, and, surprisingly, a lot of dancing. Although the coordination was a little strange, the host a little cringey (and the SMURF performance kind of a disaster), good food and fancy clothes were enough to make it an enjoyable night.
The view from my walk at West Coast Park after work. Unlike East Coast Park, its western counterpart was a lot smaller, more industrial, and less tranquil (being near a major freeway), but I still enjoyed the nice view of the ocean and various ships docked nearby.
Sungei Road Laksa, a famous laksa joint that was recommended by the one and only Mike Chen. We waited thirty minutes in line for a delicately prepared bowl eaten with just a spoon. It was definitely a quality dish, though I personally was not a big fan of the strong seafood flavor from the oysters. Still worth a try though!
Some old Peranakan shophouses near Beach Road. This was definitely an older part of town, lacking the usual glass-paneled skyscrapers but charming nonetheless.
And after nearly five weeks in Singapore, I paid my first visit to Sentosa Island, a manmade island off the southern coast. Though the long strips of beaches and picturesque terrain had their appeals, I couldn’t say that I was a fan. The entire island seemed overly artificial and highly touristy, a little like the theme parks in the U.S.
The Merlion at Sentosa, one of seven in Singapore. While some have made it their bucket list to visit all seven, this was, unfortunately, the only one I caught a pic with.